Sunday, June 28, 2009

The great Callanetics experiment

Have I started a Callanetics experiment before? It sounds so totally familiar, but even if I did I am SURE I did not finish it as that would go against everything I believe in. Ha!

Callanetics is a form of deep-muscle exercise developed by Callan Pinckney way back in the 80s as a way to alleviate her severe knee and back pain. The exercises are rooted in ballet, but are actually very unique and INTENSE! She has a book that I read back in high school (so it must have just come out actually...see what a trendsetter I am?) called "Ten Years Younger in Ten Hours"...the routine takes about an hour to do, hence the name.

I have the book (I think I do anyway...will have to search the bedroom closet after hubby gets up) and three of the videos: Callanetics (which is based on the book), Quick Callanetics for Hips and Behind, and Quick Callanetics for Legs. I have started and stopped this routine several times, but I'm not sure why. Whenever I take body measurements after 3 or 4 sessions there is always a loss of inches. SO, I am going to STICK TO IT for 10 whole sessions over the course of the next 2.5-3 weeks and re-measure after I have completed by 10th session of the one-hour program (I'll count each Quick video as half a lesson).

The reason I am tracking this experiment on this blog is A) I'm bored and on summer vacation, and B) while there are a lot of snippets of Callanetics anecdotes out there, there isn't much in the way of following someone through their experience...and since that's what I was looking for, I thought I'd just do it myself. (Geez! Do I have to do EVERYTHING???) :-)

So, my recap for Session 1: I found that I was really glad the ab exercises are toward the beginning of the video, because I always dread those and they're over before you know it! I'll also have to FORCE myself to do the entire warm-up, but I can see how that could get skipped by someone if they are short on time. But, in the interest of being experiment-y, I will do the warmups. They're just kind of boring, but they must be there for a reason. By far the hardest things for me to do are the leg exercises...I can't do all the pelvic scoops without stopping several times and the pelvic rotations make me want to hurt someone.

All in all, I felt pretty good after the workout...though my legs were a wee bit wobbly. Today I feel slightly sore all over, but nothing horrendous that will keep me from popping in a Quick video for later tonight.

One down, nine to go! (And yes, i took measurements...SCARY STUFF, so I won't post it here)

No comments: