Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My platelets are stupid

Just spoke with the doc...he'd left me a message the other day saying it was time to start considering platelet-lowering agents. The two he mentioned, Hydroxurea and Anagrelide, have icky side effects and I'm not too keen on taking either one of them. So, when we touched base today I thought he was definitely going to push for meds. However, since my hemoglobin has dropped to normal he says I'm not "high risk" for stroke right now...I guess just moderate risk (which is still rather poopy), but since I take an aspirin every day he says we can watch the platelets for a bit and see if they continue to go up or if they drop down below 1 million. If they stay below a million, I can just take an aspirin...otherwise it's time for meds.

I have, however, been reading some promising studies regarding something called 'pegylated interferon'...apparently plain ol' interferon is nasty stuff, but people seem to tolerate the pegylated version much better. Studies have been done on patients with PV and it has shown an "excellent" response...some people even go into a lasting remission. I plan to print these out and take them to my appointment on the 1st.

Now for some awesomeness...Tom and I are giving our backyard a little touch-up. Not a total re-do, but we're putting in a fresh layer of decomposed granite and new bender board for the flower beds. It has made such a huge difference! I'm going to get a few new plants on Friday and re-mulch the beds...it is going to be party ready in no time! If we can finish our bathroom project we could potentially have an end-of-the summer bash. Fun fun!

And...without further ado...our new addition!

And here is a shot of the interior:

Isn't she just adorable?
Hugs to all!
Mo

No comments: