Friday, July 29, 2011

Interferon!

As ya'll can see from my previous updates, I haven't been too excited about the two drugs my doc mentioned. So, like the good patient advocate that I am, I researched things on my own and came across some studies for a drug called Pegylated Interferon (the pegylated part has to do with what it binds to and it's ability to stick around in the system longer...so you only have to take it once a week).

For the geek in all of us, here are links to two abstracts:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19826111
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18650451

So,what does this mean in good ol' plain English? Well, this particular drug has been used to treat hepatitis and some smarty pants decided to see how it would work with people who have PV...perhaps because one of the side effects of the drug is bone marrow suppression (which is exactly what us PV folks want!). In many patients it created a COMPLETE REMISSION (or "complete response" as the abstract states), and in some cases it REVERSES the gene mutation! Holy Cow Batman!

Anyway, I emailed the studies to my doc and he responded right away that they looked very promising. We are planning to meet on Monday, so let's cross fingers that he's done some more research and can get me on this drug (and that it works, of course!).

In other news...planning a brunch for a few friends on Sunday (and yes, we're going to eat outside in the semi-madeover backyard if it's not too hot). Cleaned out the fridge today, found a bunch of healthy stuff I had forgotten about in the cabinets and managed to fit my dehydrator AND juicer in the kitchen! Hoping to start doing more raw-foods, and having a permanent home for the ol' dehydrator beast should help.

Gotta get back to work!
Hugs,
Mo

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

YEA! Woohoo!!!! You go girl! Can't wait to hear what the doc says. Way to go Mo!