Monday, July 04, 2011

Honk if you love my blog.

Hey friends and fam...I don't update this much because I am not sure anyone else reads it. Probably due to the fact that I have my privacy settings set to "If I told you, I'd have to kill you." Anyway...if you've been in touch with me at all lately, you know I landed my dream job in the ICU. It is all kinds of awesome!

In other news...dealing with some troubling blood work but am trying not to get too freaked about it. My red blood cell count is high which means I've got a horrible disorder or I'm pretty darn dehydrated. I'm going with dehydrated and as a result am drinking a ton of water...I downloaded a little app for my iPhone called Water Tracker. It's pretty neat...you can set random reminders throughout the day that say, "Hey, drink some water!" I've set my goal at 12 8-oz glasses and have done good for two whole days in a row! Apparently it takes a bit to reverse chronic dehydration, so I'm going to stick with it until I get my next blood test. I also have super high platelets, which can also be a horrible disease or an iron deficiency. Since my ferritin levels came back low, I'm hoping that's the reason for it and not Something Else. Tom (and everyone else) thinks I need to eat beef every now and again...and honestly, I probably would because this shilolah is scaring me awfully bad. However, I'd like to try alternatives first...and one of the things I've been reading about is celiac. Apparently, a significant number of people who are diagnosed with celiac have NO gastrointestinal symptoms at all....they get tested for it because they have iron-deficiency anemia (like moi). With that said, being a vegan AND following a gluten-free diet would be rather restrictive, and I may have to throw something back into the mix to replace my beloved seitan (which is 100% gluten and one of my all-time favorite things). Sigh...we shall see. I just want to get this blood work back to normal so I can stop lying awake at night thinking about all the horrible things that can happen. And I also may have a B-12 deficiency...I'm telling ya, I am one really untalented vegetarian! I am sure my doc will do more tests, so stand by...if anyone is out there, that is.

In other exciting news...Tom and I found a little house we'd like to buy. It's two streets over from us and is absolutely darling! It would make a great little rental. Not sure we have enough saved for a down payment yet, but T is supposed to call a lender tomorrow and get some ideas. I may have talked him into staying in this house, but there are some things I'd like to do to it to get it more organized and functional. Namely, I'd like to turn the office into a humungous walk-in closet. That would be The Most Awesome Thing In The World. It would also cost Way Too Much Money, but could possibly be a fun DIY project. We'll see...need to buy the little rental first, so stand by.

Oh, speaking of buying things, I bought a new car. Or rather, I committed to buying a new car. It is enroute from some mysterious place and will arrive on the 20th...only 16 days away! Yippee! It's a white Subaru Impreza hatchback. Super super cute. I'll take pics once it's in my hot little hands...or maybe a video using Tom's dorky GoPro camera. YouTube here I come!

Ok, that's enough rambling...do me a favor and post a reply if you are still reading. I'd kind of like to see which of you I've suckered into following this almost non-existant blog.

Love and hugs,
Mo!

2 comments:

Cheryl Ohlman-Biles said...

You know you can give me a call and talk whenever you are worried. I am a night owl and up late. I agree with Tom on your diet. Too bad Abe's is gone. You love that bacon wrapped fillet. Or you and I need to go to Wendy's for a hamburger. Congrats on the car! Can't wait for the pics.

Unknown said...

Hey lady!
Sorry it took me sooooo long to read this, no internet at home so I had to wait until I remembered to check it from a computer with internet. I hope the doctors are working hard to help figure out something to make your platelets and blood go lower, you're a healthnut, no diseases allowed. Congratulations on the new car (YAAYYY!!!!) annnd hopefully the rental house works out. I miss you guys to pieces!