Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My new goal for this winter break....SLEEP!

Yesterday when I got home from taking the "mind-f&%#@" that was my Statistics final, I had a nice little surprise waiting for me in my inbox...the nursing school orientation website! After getting a peak at the class schedule, I now know that those cozy mornings in bed are soon to be replaced by the incessant bleep of my alarm clock at hours that no good and decent person should be roused. I am mainly thinking of the clinical day...which as any nursing student call tell you starts god-awful early.

My options for clinical are: the awesome level 1 Trauma Center by my house, the also awesome yet very old hospital somewhat near my house and the shiny, new hospital that is 40 minutes away. If I am placed in the latter clinical group (it's first come, first served) then I'll be leaving my house at about 5:15 in the morning. I was debating today about growing out my hair...I think this cinches it. Off with the hair...who wants to primp when they crawl out of bed at 4 in the morning. OMG, I can't believe I just said that...I need to start getting to bed earlier. Whatever clinical group I get...I hope it's one scheduled after our "day off"...I've heard that the whole pre-clinical routine is pretty intense...anyone wanna second that?

So...aside from getting lots of sleep this winter break, I also get to do all kinds of fun errands for pre-entry, including immunization titers, drug/alcohol screen, order uniform (a dark green polo...I look horrible in dark green), buy white scrub pants (white?????), get a few other supplies, and take care of a few other sundry tasks. What I am most excited about is the authorized SHOPPING! I am really hoping for an iPod Touch, but need to figure out what software I need and if it's supported by Apple. I know many people swear by them, but just as many people say they're not necessary...I'm pretty gadget-y, so I'm leaning toward getting it...anyone want to chime in? I am also happy that we have a lab-coat as part of our uniform...it will cover the wide, white expanse that is my tush. White scrub pants? Honestly?

Peace!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Whoa, you could do med surg I at a level 1 trauma center? Actually in the ED or on a floor? I would have been scared shitless if that's where I was for MS I. ;) Also, don't underestimate the "very old" hospital...they may be even more awesome to their nurses than "Shiny New" Hospital!

My pre-clinical routine was not horrendous. I didn't take a giant bagful of stuff like some nursing students. BUt your school might require something that ours didn't so ya never know. Can't wait to hear about it though!

White scrub pants? :::gag::: Our uniforms were completely black scrubs. Cue Grim Reaper jokes! Coulda been much worse.

ANyway ,keep us posted, esp on the iPod Touch! I do love mine... :)