Wednesday, December 10, 2008

How I got here and what happens next...

So it's been about a week since I found out about my acceptance into nursing school. I was pretty much in shock for a few days...it's hard to believe that something I've worked so hard for is actually going to happen. And this is coming from someone who is famous for starting projects and not so famous for finishing them. The fact that I've jumped through all these hoops so far is actually kind of amazing. I'm sure the hoop-jumping is about to get severe, but it's so hard to say. I've heard all kinds of stuff about nursing school...how it's impossible to get an A, how someone else got a 4.0, how mean the teachers are, how supportive and inspiring the teachers are, how difficult it is, how fascinating it is...so I really don't know what to expect beyond the following: not sleeping, studying constantly and crying on a pretty regular basis.

So how did I get here? Here's just a little recap of the classes I had to take as pre-requisites:
-General Chemistry (the first class I took after a 16 year hiatus!)
-Organic/Bio Chemistry (lots of drawing of molecules...bring your eraser!)
-Nutrition (super easy and actually pretty interesting)
-General Psychology (took this in College the Prequel...don't even remember it)
-Human Development (took this in College the Prequel...really interesting...easy)
-Public Speaking (took in 1988...aced it)
-English Composition (I took this as an 8-week class online...highly recommended over the traditional course)
-A critical thinking course (I wrote critically about Greek mythology all semester)
-Intermediate Algebra (like callesthenics for your brain)
-Statistics (if you like puzzles, you'll love Stats)
-Microbiology (made me totally paranoid that I had every disease I learned about)
-Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2 (fascinating and a ton, I mean a TON, of material)
-Cultural Anthropology (easy & interesting...double bonus!)

So what's next? Though I don't have my schedule yet, I do know which classes I'll be taking. I should find out the schedule in a week or so...I am not even 100% sure what is exactly going to happen in these classes...can anyone help me out?
-Pharmacology (drugs...and it's televised so I don't have to show up anywhere...can learn in jammies!)
-Introduction to Professional Nursing (Is this the fundamentals course everyone talks about being so difficult?)
-Nursing Care of Adults (Med-Surg I?)
-Introduction to Clinical Nursing Practice (bring out the Littmann!)
-Physical Assessment of the Adult (palpating? head to toes?)
-Therapeutic Interpersonal and Group Communication (how do you feel about that?)

So for this first semester I'll have 14 units...wheeeeeeeee!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I am SO Happy for you! Yes, prepare yourself to cry often. Just kidding. Nursing school is about 60% what you make of it and 40% what kind of program you're in, meaning quality of profs and whether they are punitive people or not. I got really lucky with my program. My cousin in New Jersey is not so lucky. It's really hit or miss.

Pharm: I think you'll love it.

Intro to Prof Nursing: For me this was a writing/reading class, different from fundamentals where you learned skills. Are you in a BS program?

Nrsg Care of Adults: Yep, aka med surg I

Intro to Clinical Nursing Practice: No idea here.

Physical Asssessment: Learning breath sounds, bowel sounds, heart sounds. We didn't do skills, just got to know the way the body was supposed to look and feed.

Therapeutic Communication: Um. Have fun with that. I kinda think you either got it or ya don't. :)