Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wow, it's already a month later...

...and I have realized I am a terribly inconsistent blogger. Most days I just can't force myself to look at the computer for another minute so that's pretty much why I haven't been updating my blog. On top of that, I'm just so darn tired all the time that it's hard to fathom putting a sentence together. I guess I feel some pressure to be just as awesome at this as some of the other nursing school blogs I've read (namely the brainscramble.org blog...it's fantastic), plus since I've been a writer for so long I feel pressure to write them well. Lucky for you I have a new philosphy that has been born out of necessity...in nursing school you just can't be as anal and obsessive as you'd like to be. I just don't have time. Now when I have a project to do my main goal is to just get it done, and I save the anal/obsessiveness for things like care plans and clinical, where it really matters. Everything else gets about an A- effort and that's fine with me. We're in survival mode here folks.

So, in light of my new attitude, I will post more often, but don't expect it to be super thought-provoking or anything...it will be more of an update with deep thoughts sprinkled prn.

So, without further ado, here is an update from the past few weeks:
-I can no longer spell. If my brain weren't completely frazzled I'd suspect a neurological disorder. Seriously.
-I now have to consciously NOT report the time using the 24-hour clock since my regular friends don't know what the hell 1430 is.
-I find that I am giving report on my cat. When my husband gets home from work I give him a quick rundown of how the cats are doing. Seriously. Today it was that my older cat is being especially needy. Good golly.
-I gave my first injection (insulin, sub q) in clinical last week. I thought I'd be freaking out, but it was so not a big deal. The main issue for me is making sure I am safe, so I was more freaked out about drawing up the right number of units than I was about piercing someone's skin.
-I did an Accucheck without gloves...so this wins bonehead move of the week. Actually, my CI caught it before I came into contact with any blood, but WOW, what a dumb thing to do.
-I saw my first hospital penis. Again, not as weird as I thought it was going to be.
-I get excited about goofy tasks like drawing urine for a U/A...if I get to dc a Foley or NG I am going to be stoked. I'd love to insert either, but those opportunities are few and far between...I guess a girl can dream though.
-I passed all my skills checkoffs on the first try, and that class is OVER so all I have to do for it is take a final this Wednesday. We are all freaked out about it...it's worth like 40% of our grade and it's tricky and full of tiny details...grr.....
-I went to my first CNSA meeting last night and one of my classmates nominated me for something (Class Representative, I think...I have no idea what it entails, but if no one else is nominated I guess it's my slot by default...hmmm...do I really have time for this?)
-My CI wrote on one of my clinical preps that I am an "amazing student". Direct quote! This was, of course, prior to the glove-less Accucheck incident.
-I'm still exhausted, but not quite as shell-shocked. Looking forward to having some more time to study now that Skills Lab is over.
-The rest of the semester mainly involves finals and two big group presentations. Oh, and the ATI. So, I guess I'm still super busy but maybe I'm getting used to it? Just in time for summer break!

Voila...you are pretty much caught up!

-

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Aw, thanks for the super kind shout-out! :::blush:::
Congrats on all yours firsts, especially the "hospital penis." Laughed out loud at that one. I have no doubt you are an amazing student, soon to be an amazing RN! Keep us posted!