Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Volunteer Mo!

I was just browsing around the website of Most Popular Hospital in Sacramento in an effort to find a job that I could do with absolutely no healthcare experience. I heard from a friend of a friend that all the big hospitals in town reserve space in the impacted nursing programs for their employees...if I can get a gig at one of the hospitals then I get into school on my first try. Bueno, no? My preference is to attend the accelerated program funded by Most Popular Hospital, so I would love to get a job there. The problem is...no jobs posted that even remotely match my education or experience. So, I am applying for the next best thing...a volunteer position! The great thing about a volunteer gig is that they have availability in all the really cool areas (ER, ICU, Med Surg, OR Recovery) and I wouldn't actually be responsible for saving or killing anyone. This is a wonderful solution for a life-long baby stepper like me! AND the best part is, the nurses will let you watch them do procedures...cool, huh? I am hoping that once they see how wonderful, caring, intelligent and all around fabulous I am, then I can secure a regular gig and then hopefully a spot in their program. We shall see.

In hopes that I will get a volunteer gig and have wildly fascinating stories to tell, I am keeping the name of the hospital a big secret...that way no one from HIPAA will come after me with a big ugly scowl and lots of forms to fill out.


******************************
Good Kitty: Rode my bike for 2 hours (and 27.7 miles) all by myself on Sunday. Thank dog I did not get a flat :-)

Bad Kitty: Did not wear sunscreen...big X on my back marking the spot where I was stupid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coolness! That is how I ended up with a per diem position in the ICU--started as a volunteer. I actually only volunteered a few times before they had an opening. In the end, it didn't work out (they were trying to get some full time hours but it didn't happen) so I went back to corporate america but even that small amt. of time in the hospital was really beneficial!