Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Torn between two lovers....

For some reason that song pops into my head when I think about putting in my preferences for precepting next semester. I am torn between the ICu (which I love but am not likely to get a job in right away d/t the horrible hiring situation here) and good old fashioned M/S (which will get me a good solid basis, invaluable time management, organizational skills...and maybe a job). UGH!

It seems whenever I talk to the seasoned nurses they tell me to go the M/S route, but then I talk to others who went straight into the ICU, and those people tell me to follow my heart. Torn torn torn. I also kind of like peds, but I think the reason I've liked it so far is that I haven't had to do anything with a child that really requires their total and complete cooperation. For instance, I haven't had to put an NG tube in a child or a Foley...I certainly haven't tried an IV or even given an injection to a tiny little tot. I know how "not patient" I am, and I also know that causing pain to someone who doesn't understand why I'm doing it would be really really hard. So, even though the kiddos are cute as heck and don't have nearly the same degree of smelliness as their adult counterparts..I just don't think I can go into peds (at least not right away).

I really need to figure out what I'm going to do...I am sure I want to work in the ICU...I am 100% certain of that. I love all the gadgets and technology. I love the pathophysiology and ability to totally focus on one or two patients. I love things that are complicated and challenging, but at the same time I am absolutely scared to death. The idea of being "the nurse" for any patient (critical or not) freaks me out to no end. Right now I can take some comfort in knowing that if I can't figure something out, I just go get "the real nurse." I am reminded every time I go to clinical how NOT READY I am to take care of patients. At all.

Again...torn, torn torn. Sigh...

No comments: